Darebin Songwriters' Award Entries Open
Songwriters Award winner 2019 Stella Farnan. Image by Theresa Harrison
Entries are now open for the Darebin Songwriters’ Award
The Darebin Songwriters’ Award is an annual songwriting competition that seeks to recognise, showcase and promote the talents of local songwriters. There is an amazing price package to be won including cash and studio time. Past winners include Stella Farnan, Jordie Lane, Ben Mason, Brooke Russell and Charm of Finches.
Songwriters’ who live, work or study in the City of Darebin are welcome to enter. The Award is open to songwriters of all ages. Songwriters’ are also welcome to enter songs in languages other than English. Local Indigenous songwriters are particularly encouraged to enter.
This year, twelve finalists will have their songs judged by our distinguished panel with the Grand Final broadcast by 3KND Radio on Thursday 17 September featuring performances and interviews with finalists and judges.
The winner of the Darebin Songwriters’ Award 2020 will receive:
- $2000 courtesy of City of Darebin
- 8 hours recording time with an engineer at HeadGap
- EP Mastering by Crystal Mastering
- $500 Implant Media Voucher for CD duplication services
- $500 Echo Tone Guitars Voucher
- I Manage My Music masterclass pass
Also up for grabs:
People’s Choice Award
- $500 courtesy of City of Darebin
- I Manage My Music masterclass pass
The top 50 scoring entrants will each receive written feedback on their song and our 12 Finalists will each score a one on one songwriting mentor session with a Darebin Songwriters’ Award judge.
- Finalists and Winner will be judged by a panel of distinguished local songwriters.
- Entries will be shortlisted, with finalists notified by phone during the week of Monday 24 August.
- Finalists must be available to participate in the Grand Final broadcast on the evening of Thursday 17 September at 3KND Radio, Bundoora.
- The People’s Choice Award will be won by public vote on a one vote per voter basis. People’s choice votes will open at 10am Tuesday 1 September here: fusedarebin.com.au
Terms and Conditions of entry
- Entries open 10am Wednesday 17 June
- Entries close 4pm Wednesday 29 July. Late entries will not be considered.
- Entry must be composed by a person who currently lives, works or studies in Darebin for a minimum of 10 hours per week.
- Entry and payment are submitted online at the same time
- Anonymity is an important part of the shortlisting process. The song file & lyric sheet MUST be marked ONLY with the song title and copyright date. Example - 'Song Title. 2020 .mp3'
- Only ONE song may be submitted by any one artist.
- The song entered must:
- Be an original work written by the entering composer(s).
- Not have been previously awarded a prize in a songwriting competition.
- Be recorded.
- Judges will consider lyric, melody, composition, originality of the central musical or thematic idea and so on. The judges’ decision will be final and not open to any discussion. Entry implies acceptance of these conditions and the conduct of the event.
- The shortlisted finalists will be notified the week of Monday 24 August by telephone. All other entrants will be informed of the results by email.
- Finalists must be available to participate in the Awards broadcast by 3KND Radio on Thursday 17 September 2020 during the evening. Entrants must arrive on time or the entrant will be disqualified. Participation may include live in-studio or via phone performance and/or interviews.
- The entrant gives the right for the festival to record and photograph the performance (s) for promotional and archival purposes and understands copyright remains with the entrant.
- Shortlisted finalists give the right for their uploaded sound file to be shared with 3KND Radio for the purposes of broadcasting.
- Shortlisted finalists must promote People’s Choice Award and broadcast via artists own social media platforms.
- The entrant must confirm that they hold copyright to the submitted work.
- They must declare ownership of this intellectual/creative property.
- No refunds will be possible once payments have been submitted.
- Any issues with the form or your submission please contact Amanda Palmer, Associate Producer on Amanda.Palmer@darebin.vic.gov.auor by phone on 03 8470 8306