Songwriters' Award Entries Open
Songwriters Award winner 2019 Stella Farnan
Entries are now open for the Darebin Songwriters’ Award
The Darebin Songwriters’ Award is an annual songwriting competition that seeks to recognise, showcase and promote the talents of local songwriters. There is an amazing price package to be won including cash and studio time. Past winners include Stella Farnan, Jordie Lane, Ben Mason, Brooke Russell and Charm of Finches.
Songwriters’ who live, work or study in the City of Darebin are welcome to enter. The Award is open to songwriters of all ages. Songwriters’ are also welcome to enter songs in languages other than English. Local Indigenous songwriters are particularly encouraged to enter.
Darebin Songwriters’ Award is back and now a part of FUSE festival.
FUSE is City of Darebin’s brand-new multi-arts festival. Every Autumn and Spring, FUSE transforms Darebin into a dynamic hub of creativity, bringing artists, communities and audiences to our streets, parks, band rooms, theatres and galleries to immerse themselves in art, culture and creativity of all forms.
Considering the restrictions on public gatherings currently in place as a result of COVID-19, we have shifted our Spring 2020 festival program to focus on events that support local creatives and can be experienced within the parameters of physical distancing.
This year, the annual Grand Final Concert will be broadcast by 3KND Radio on Thursday 17 September featuring performances and interviews with finalists and judges.
The winner of the Darebin Songwriters’ Award 2020 will receive:
- $2000 courtesy of City of Darebin
- 8 hours recording time with an engineer at HeadGap
- EP Mastering by Crystal Mastering
- $500 Implant Media Voucher for CD duplication services
- $500 Echo Tone Guitars Voucher
Also up for grabs:
$500 People’s choice award
- We know times are tough right now for musicians, so this year’s entry fee is by donation. The regular fee is $16.50 (including GST)
Payment is made via the entry form found online at: www.fusedarebin.vic.gov.au
- Finalists and Winner will be judged by a panel of distinguished local songwriters.
- Entries will be shortlisted, with finalists notified by phone during the week of Monday 24 August.
- Finalists must be available to participate in the Grand Final broadcast on the evening of Thursday 17 September at 3KND Radio, Bundoora. (Appropriate health guidelines will be adhered to). Participation may include song performance and interviews.
- The People’s choice award will be won by public vote on a one vote per voter basis. People’s choice votes will open at 10am Tuesday 1 September and close Wednesday 16 September. People’s choice voting will take place online at www.fusedarebin.com.au
People's Choice Voting Now Open
Listen to the finalist tracks and vote for your favourite!
Terms and Conditions of entry
- Entries open 10am Wednesday 17 June
- Entries close 4pm Wednesday 29 July. Late entries will not be considered.
- Entry must be composed by a person who currently lives, works or studies in Darebin for a minimum of 10 hours per week.
- Entry and payment are submitted online at the same time
- Anonymity is an important part of the shortlisting process. The song file & lyric sheet MUST be marked ONLY with the song title and copyright date. Therefore, song file protocol looks like - OhBabyc2012.mp3
- Only ONE song may be submitted by any one artist.
- The song entered must:
- Be an original work written by the entering composer(s).
- Not have been previously awarded a prize in a songwriting competition.
- Be recorded.
- Judges will consider lyric, melody, composition, originality of the central musical or thematic idea and so on. The judges’ decision will be final and not open to any discussion. Entry implies acceptance of these conditions and the conduct of the event.
- The shortlisted finalists will be notified the week of Monday 24 August by telephone. All other entrants will be informed of the results by email.
- Finalists must be available to participate in the Awards broadcast by 3KND Radio on Thursday 17 September 2020 during the evening. Entrants must arrive on time or the entrant will be disqualified. Participation may include live in-studio or via phone performance and/or interviews.
- The entrant gives the right for the festival to record and photograph the performance (s) for promotional and archival purposes and understands copyright remains with the entrant.
- Shortlisted finalists give the right for their uploaded soundfile to be shared with 3KND Radio for the purposes of broadcasting.
- Shortlisted finalists must promote People’s choice and broadcast via artists own social media platforms.
- The entrant must confirm that they hold copyright to the submitted work.
- They must declare ownership of this intellectual/creative property.
- No refunds will be possible once payments have been submitted.